Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sleeptalking

When I was growing up I had to share my room with my brother. Eric is two years older than me and for the majority of my life, was always bigger. I'm taller now though. Anyway, Eric and I had bunk beds in our bedroom and I always slept on top and he got the bottom bunk.  So one night I'm sleeping and I heard this nearly desperate "Ethan, Ethan!" coming from the below me. I sat up straight and in a near panic asked "What?"  In an off hand voice my dear brother queried, "Do you like hockey?" I leaned over the edge of my bed and hung off the side so that I could see him and asked, "What are you talking about?" My only answer was a chorus of snoring. I thought he was faking sleep so I yelled at him to leave me alone and to go to sleep.


The next morning, I told my mom what had happened and Eric, who just can't help but laugh whenever he had pulled a prank, was speechless. Neither Mom or I believed him and he got a good tongue lashing from her about how sleep is important and not to be playing games after bedtime. I was satisfied until the next time, several months later. He didn't ask me a question, just said something unintelligible. I asked him what he said and was only greeted with soft snoozes. I listened to his breathing to try and catch him being funny but his breathing pattern never changed. My brother was a certified sleeptalker. 


He rarely ever said anything that I could hear and he never addressed me personally again, but he did completely fall off his bunk bed once and have a whole conversation with my mom about it. He woke up in the morning and was completely surprised that he was on the floor.


I asked his girlfriend recently if she had ever heard him talk in his sleep. She said "No but he mumbles and moans a lot and he even laughs in his sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment