Thursday, January 13, 2011

Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theater.  ~Gail Godwin
This quote sums up my approach to teaching.Yes as a teacher I have to know what I'm going to say when I get up in front of my students, or at least have some general idea. I also have to know what I'm doing the next day, what I'm putting on Friday's test, what I'm going to do with those that pass that test, and what I'm going to re-do with those that fail that test.

But all of that pales in comparison to what a teacher really has to do...he/she has to sell information to students, who for the most part, don't want it. It doesn't matter if they information is interesting or boring. It doesn't matter if it's math, science, social studies or language arts. All that matters is that they have little interest in it, because it is not yet part of their understanding of the world. So everyday is an act, a farce, or even an outrght con to get those students to open up their heads for precious seconds so that I can pour something in. 

Does it sound like I like my job? Well I do. Love it in fact because there are never two days the same and I, for the most part, love spending time with children.

1 comment:

  1. and this is exactly why i'm going into the field. no one refuses knowledge like high schoolers in algebra, LOL

    ReplyDelete